By Joe Allen, Nashville (joeallenphotography.com)
Built in 1873 as a cotton and woolen factory, Falls Mill was later converted for use as a cotton gin, then as a woodworking shop. Today the water wheel drives millstones that produce cornmeal, grits and stoneground flour. The mill, which was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1972, is the centerpiece of the Falls Mill Historic District. It is open to the public (www.fallsmill.com).